An elegant property in the heart of the Viking city of Waterford is being offered for sale. Sherry FitzGerald’s John Rohan is guiding €995,000 for the Port of Waterford Building.
Constructed in 1795 to a design of Waterford’s famous Georgian architect John Roberts, it retains its period form and character. Original features include the granite plinth, the doorcase, cut-granite quoins and cornices.
A Palladian-style entrance hall is flanked by twin fluted Doric columns. An impressive cantilevered spiral staircase is one of the finest in the country, featuring brass balustrades and rich plasterwork. A lofty stairwell is surmounted by an oval dome and lit by a skylight.
Neo-classical plasterwork by Patrick Osborne enriches the decoration while its first floor has a fine series of reception rooms with original fireplaces.
This terraced six-bay four-storey over part-raised basement house extends to 975sqm and has a large yard with rear access.
Its basement was sympathetically refurbished in 2007, with the addition of original style arches and open-plan configuration and was for several years occupied by La Boheme restaurant .
All of the building is vacant except for the 190sqm first floor occupied by Waterford Chamber under two leases. One of these is a 99-year lease from December 1954 at IR£1 per annum, and the other lease is at a current annual rent of €16,840 plus Vat.
Located at No 2, Georges Street, it is situated at the junction with Gladstone Street and O’Connell Street and adjacent to The Quays in an established commercial location.