Landmark buildings to become Clerys Quarter, finishing in 2022
The development of Clerys, one of Dublin’s most iconic buildings, is expected to be finished in early 2022.
Once completed, it will include 92,600 sq ft of new grade-A office space across two buildings.
The offices will be situated over three floors above the retail areas within the existing Clerys building.
Other office space will be in the newly developed Earl Building, which will face onto North Earl Street and contain 28,000 sq ft of offices over five floors.
The development, known as ‘Clerys Quarter’ will also include 60,000 sq ft of prime retail space in the building on Dublin’s O’Connell street.
Shoppers will be able to enjoy an 18,000 sq ft panoramic rooftop restaurant and bar, as well as five new food and beverage units, including the newly refurbished tea rooms.
The development, which is being undertaken by Core Capital, Oakmount and Europa Capital, will include a new 213-bed four-star hotel.
It is understood the hotel will be run by Paddy McKillen jnr’s Press Up Group.
The developers said they are currently in advanced discussions with “a number of retail and office occupiers and we have agreed terms with a restaurant operator”.
Once completed, it is expected that Clerys Quarter will provide over 400 new employment opportunities for the local area, according to the developers.
The site has remained all but empty following a controversial sale and closure in 2015, which resulted in the loss of over 460 jobs.
Workers were given just 30 minutes to leave when the department store went into liquidation in 2015, and the building was sold to the Natrium Investment Group for nearly €30m.
Built in 1853, the Clerys store is arguably one of the most famous landmarks in Ireland.
It has played a central role in the capital’s history and sits opposite one of Ireland’s most historic sites – the GPO – and adjacent to the Spire monument.
Destroyed by fire during the 1916 Easter Rising, the building was re-built and opened again in 1922.
The Clerys Clock, which hangs over the main entrance door, has been a Dublin meeting point for generations.