Tuesday 18 June 2019

Cancer patient dies after hospital bed catches fire on Christmas Eve

(Photo: Google Maps)
(Photo: Google Maps)
Amy Molloy

Amy Molloy

An elderly cancer patient has tragically passed away after a fire broke out at a ward in a Dublin hospital on Christmas Eve.

The man, who was in his 80s, died as a result of the injuries he sustained in the fire at St Luke's Hospital in Rathgar.

A number of other people were hospitalised following the incident.

It is understood the fire may have been caused by a cigarette.

An investigation has now been launched by the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA).

"Three individuals were transferred to St James’s Hospital and two individuals were transferred to St Vincent’s Hospital for treatment," the HSE said in a statement.

"Tragically, one patient who was transferred to St James's Hospital for treatment has died as a result of the injuries sustained in the fire. The hospital would like to extend its sincere sympathies to the family. The incident will be investigated by the hospital and the relevant authorities."

A garda spokeswoman said the fire occurred at around 5.30am on Monday morning and the scene has been preserved for a technical examination.

"Gardaí are investigating the death of man in his 80's that occurred following a fire related incident at a hospital in Rathgar, Dublin 6," the garda spokeswoman said.

"The man received serious injuries in the incident and was taken to St. James's Hospital where he later passed away.

"The incident is not believed to be suspicious at this time. HIQA has been notified."

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Also in this section