Six hotel guards 'charged' with failure to help tourists during Tunisia massacre which killed three Irish people
Six hotel security guards have been charged with failing to help tourists during the 2015 Tunisia terror attack, it has been reported.
The charges come after a British judge said the police response to the attack in which 30 Britons died was "at best shambolic, at worst cowardly".
Irish Husband and wife Laurence and Martina Hayes, both in their 50s, from Athlone in Co Westmeath, were among the fatalities.
The third Irish victim was mother of two Lorna Carty, from Robinstown in Co Meath.
Tunisian authorities are said to have arrested a further 14 people in connection with the massacre.
Another 12 people are under investigation.
Sofian Sliti, a spokesman for judicial counter-terrorism investigations in the country, told the Reuters news agency the guards from the Imperial Hotel in Sousse had been charged with failing to help people in danger in a manner that caused their deaths.
On Tuesday Judge Nicholas Loraine-Smith ruled the British victims of the attack had been killed unlawfully at the conclusion of an inquest in London.
Following the verdict grieving relatives said they planned to sue travel firm TUI over the deaths, which came just months after a fatal attack in the capital Tunis.
- Read more: 'It's still very raw' - Families of Irish people killed in Tunisia terror attack still coming to terms with atrocity
On Wednesday a Tunisian official provoked anger by suggesting the country had suffered more from the attack, in which a total of 38 people died, due to its impact on tourism.
Lazhar Akremi told The Times: "You lost 30 people. But the suffering is bigger for the Tunisian people.
"I mean, the reputation of the country was ruined, tourism was destroyed, also the 30 were our guests.
"They were killed while they were our guests."