Nine Italians and seven Japanese killed in Islamic attack on popular Dhaka restaurant
Published 02/07/2016 | 07:03
The bodies of nine Italians have been identified after an attack on a restaurant in Bangladesh, the Italian foreign minister said.
Paolo Gentiloni told reporters that there was another, unidentified body in the military morgue of Bangladesh but the nationality has not yet been determined.
Italian news reports had said around 10 Italians were inside the restaurant in Dhaka when it was attacked by militants on Friday night.
One of the victims of the attack had earlier been identified by Italian media as a 47-year-old manager from north-eastern Italy.
Italian agency Ansa said the man, who was married and the father of three-year-old twin girls, was in Bangladesh for work.
Ansa said word spread in the town of Feletto Umberto, near Udine, on Saturday that the man was among the 20 who died in the attack by extremists.
Seven Japanese are also among the dead in the Bangladesh siege, five men and two women, a Japanese official said.