Sunday 23 November 2014

War crimes suspect

Published 08/08/2014 | 02:30

A Rwandan man accused of war crimes was arrested by the US Border Patrol in northern Maine after a local citizen reported a "suspicious person" walking near the Canadian border.

Jean Leonard Teganya, (42) - a Rwandan who authorities said had violated international law and the Canadian Crimes Against Humanity and War Crimes Act - walked across the border into the US illegally on Sunday when he was spotted.

He was later detained and processed for removal from the United States.

Held reporter appeal

The editor of a newspaper in the United Arab Emirates expressed hope yesterday that its correspondent in Iran detained last month on unspecified charges will soon be released.

Yeganeh Salehi was working as a foreign correspondent for the Abu Dhabi-based daily 'The National' when she was detained on July 22 alongside her husband, 'Washington Post' reporter Jason Rezaian. Two photojournalists who have not been identified were also taken into custody.

Drivers taking selfies

As many as a third of young British drivers have taken a "selfie" while at the wheel, according to a survey by Ford.

While 33pc of Britons aged 18-24 confessed to taking a selfie while driving, the figure for Germany was 28pc; with France also 28pc; Romania, 27pc; Italy 26pc; Spain 18pc; and Belgium 17pc.

Men were found to be the worst offenders.

Cemetery ghost fined

A MAN has been fined for pretending to be a ghost - and other rowdy behaviour in a cemetery.

Anthony Stallard (24) pleaded guilty at Portsmouth Magistrates' Court to using threatening or abusive words or behaviour likely to cause distress.

The court heard he had been out drinking with friends when they went to Kingston Cemetery where they started to play football.

A prosecutor said: "Witnesses reported the group engaging in rowdy behaviour and one of them throwing their arms in the air and saying 'woooooo'."

Storms hit flight

Flights at Istanbul's Ataturk Airport partially resumed yesterday afternoon after being suspended for about an hour due to a storm.

Istanbul and Turkey's western coast, including the coastal hub of Izmir, suffered heavy rain.

Earlier yesterday, a 16-year-old boy drowned in Izmir after being dragged along the street by flooding.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News