Sunday 4 December 2016

Venezuela recovers remains of 14 missing miners

Published 15/03/2016 | 05:26

Police investigating the massacre made the discovery in an area of jungle in Bolivar state (AP)
Police investigating the massacre made the discovery in an area of jungle in Bolivar state (AP)

Searchers have recovered the remains of 14 missing miners believed to have been killed by a gang seeking control over a wildcat gold claim in south-eastern Venezuela.

  • Go To

Police investigating the massacre made the discovery in an area of jungle in Bolivar state, near where 20 miners disappeared a week ago, attorney general Luisa Ortega said.

The massacre last week rocked Venezuelans accustomed to violence in a country with one of the world's highest homicide rates and widespread impunity.

Fearing unrest after the state governor denied the killings took place and outraged relatives blocked a highway to Brazil in protest, President Nicolas Maduro's government dispatched more than 1,000 soldiers and cabinet officials to search for the missing miners.

The circumstances behind the massacre remain unclear. Ms Ortega said she believes 21 people were killed by a criminal gang led by an Ecuadorean, but opposition politicians and relatives who say they witnessed the attack put the number at 28 and contend local officials were involved, a claim the government denies.

One person linked to the gang's ringleader has been taken into custody and several more arrests are expected soon, Ms Ortega said.

Venezuelan ombudsman Tarek William Saab said the 14 bodies were found wrapped in black plastic bags and dumped in a mass grave. The remains have not yet been identified.

Family members greeted the news with resignation mixed with anguish.

"This is very painful news for us after 12 days of suffering," said Yosleida Montilla, a mother of three of the disappeared miners.

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News