Friday 20 October 2017

US names 'dangerous' Cuba prisoners

A sketch by a courtroom artist of self-proclaimed terrorist mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (AP/Janet Hamlin)
A sketch by a courtroom artist of self-proclaimed terrorist mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (AP/Janet Hamlin)

A list released by the US government has identified several dozen Guantanamo Bay prisoners who have been designated as too dangerous to release but who cannot be prosecuted.

Those on the list have been held without charge under the Authorised Use of Military Force Act passed by Congress and signed by president George Bush in 2001, said a spokesman for the Pentagon, Army Lieutanant Colonel Todd Breasseale.

The names of all Guantanamo prisoners have been public for years, but the administration of president Barack Obama had declined to disclose which detainees had been designated for indefinite detention in 2010 by an inter-agency review panel, even though the identity of many of them was widely known through their lawyers.

The government released the list after the Miami Herald sued for the document under the Freedom of Information Act.

Most of the 48 on the list are from Yemen and Afghanistan. Two are now dead - one by suicide, the other from a heart attack.

The list also names nearly two dozen prisoners recommended for prosecution, including Khalid Sheikh Mohmmed, who is already on trial for his alleged role in the September 11 attack, and Hambali, an alleged Indonesian terrorist leader.

There are a total of 166 prisoners at the US detention facility on Cuba.

The government has said it wants to release or transfer the remaining prisoners to their homelands or other countries pending adequate security safeguards to prevent the men from attacking the US or its allies.

Press Association

Editors Choice

Also in World News