Thursday 8 December 2016

US Embassy in Turkey reports security threat

Published 14/12/2015 | 12:06

A US Embassy spokeswoman said the limited operations would continue through Tuesday
A US Embassy spokeswoman said the limited operations would continue through Tuesday

The US Embassy in Turkey said it has shifted to "limited operations" due to an unspecified security threat.

  • Go To

An embassy spokeswoman in Ankara could not provide information on the security threat but said the limited operations would continue through Tuesday.

Last week, the US Consulate in Istanbul warned US citizens to avoid the building due to information about an imminent security threat and suspended consular services for a day.

Turkish news reports said the consulate was placed on alert following intelligence about possible plans by Islamic State militants for a suicide attack.

Two suicide bombings blamed on a local IS cell killed a total of 130 people in attacks near a town on the Syrian border in July and in Ankara in October.

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News