US announces 560 more troops for Iraq as Mosul battle looms
Published 11/07/2016 | 15:26
The United States will send 560 more troops to Iraq to help establish a newly retaken air base as a staging hub for the battle to recapture Mosul from Islamic State (IS) militants.
US defence secretary Ash Carter revealed the deployment on an unannounced visit to the country.
Most of the new troops will be devoted to the build-up of the Qayara air base, about 40 miles south of Mosul, and will include engineers, logistics personnel and other forces, Mr Carter said.
They will help Iraqi security forces planning to encircle and eventually retake the key city.
He said: "These additional US forces will bring unique capabilities to the campaign and provide critical enabler support to Iraqi forces at a key moment in the fight."
Mr Carter revealed US president Barack Obama's decision as he spoke to about 120 troops in a building at Baghdad's airport. Many were members of the 101st Airborne Division, known as the Screaming Eagles.
The increase brings the total US force authorisation in Iraq to 4,647, and comes just three months after Mr Obama's last troop addition.
Mr Carter told reporters earlier that US advisers are prepared to accompany Iraqi battalions if needed, as those units begin the siege of the key northern city.
One potential job is helping Iraqi troops use highly technical bridging capabilities to get across the river into Mosul.
Mr Carter called this weekend's recapture of Qayara a key strategic victory. Speaking to reporters before he arrived in Baghdad, he said the air base will be one a hub from which "Iraqi security forces, accompanied and advised by us as needed, will complete the southern-most envelopment of Mosul. That's its strategic role, and that's its strategic importance".
He likened the air base to how forces used the eastern city of Makhmour. There, US troops set up a fire base for artillery to support advancing Iraqi units.
Marine Staff Sgt Louis F Cardin was killed at the fire base in March in an IS rocket attack.
Iraqi forces retook the air base from IS on Saturday. Iraqi p rime minister Haider al-Abadi hailed the success as a key step toward Mosul, Iraq's second largest city. Residents there should "get ready for the liberation of their areas," Mr al-Abadi said.
US officials said American advisers are already working at brigade level with Iraqi special operations forces, but they have not yet accompanied them on operations.
Mr Carter is expected to meet al-Abadi and minister of defence Khalid al-Obeidi, and Lt Gen Sean MacFarland, the top US military commander for the Islamic State fight. The main topic, he said, will be the next steps in the military campaign, with a particular focus on Mosul.
IS captured Mosul in the summer of 2014. It has used the city as a main headquarters since.
Mr Carter's visit to Iraq comes on the heels of the two-day Nato summit where allies agreed to expand their military support for the war.
In addition to Qayara, Iraqi government troops have recently retaken Ramadi, Fallujah and a number of towns along the route to Mosul.
But IS militants still control large swathes of the country and continue to launch deadly attacks, including a massive suicide bombing last week at Baghdad's bustling commercial area of Karada. As many as 186 were killed.