Tuesday 25 April 2017

Two dead as Kenyan police attack electoral reform protests

A man carries a schoolgirl overcome by tear gas to safety in Nairobi (AP)
A man carries a schoolgirl overcome by tear gas to safety in Nairobi (AP)

At least two people died when Kenya's police shot, beat and tear gassed demonstrators across the country who called for the electoral commission to be dissolved due to allegations of bias and corruption.

The two were shot dead in Siaya County, in western Kenya on the shore of Lake Victoria, according to Bonny Odinga, the county's communications director.

The protests, held each Monday for the last four weeks, come before elections next year and are organised by Kenya's main opposition group, the Coalitions for Reforms and Democracy.

Last week the US and human rights activists condemned the violence displayed by Kenyan police in which one man was killed.

Police Inspector General Joseph Boinnet said he would not permit the demonstrations because the opposition group did not notify police of their intent.

The organisation said the right to picket is constitutionally guaranteed. Senator James Orengo, a protest organis er, said the opposition notified police of the alleged intent of government allied legislators to hire people to disrupt the protests.

In the capital, Nairobi, police tear-gassed demonstrators in the Kibera area, who were trying to make their way to the city centre where electoral commission offices are. Demonstrators responded by throwing stones.

Police also tear-gassed demonstrators in opposition strongholds in Mombasa and Kisumu, Kenya's second and third largest cities. Opposition senator Boni Khalwale was arrested leading protests in the town of Kakamega.

The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission chairman Isaack Hassan said the commission will not be disbanded and challenged the opposition to provide evidence of the alleged corruption and bias.

Press Association

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News