News World News

Sunday 31 August 2014

Turkey defends YouTube ban

Published 28/03/2014 | 11:57

  • Share
Turkish officials have moved to block access to YouTube

Turkish officials have defended their move to block access to YouTube, citing national security concerns.

  • Share
  • Go To

The government shut down access to the video-sharing website yesterday after an audio recording of a security meeting was leaked. In the recording, senior officials appeared to be discussing a possible military intervention in Syria.

Foreign minister Ahmet Davutoglu said the telecommunications authority requested that YouTube take down the audio recording but the company did not remove it.

Turkey last week suspended access to Twitter, which has been a conduit for links to recordings that suggest government corruption.

"Nothing is more important than Turkey's security, the well-being of the people or the individual rights of our citizens," Mr Davutoglu said.

The ban on Twitter drew international criticism as a restriction on free speech.

Press Association

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in World News