World News

Friday 1 August 2014

Three held over Palestinian killing

Published 14/07/2014|02:38

  • Share
Smoke rises after an Israeli missile strike in Gaza City (AP)
A Palestinian mourner chants slogans on the grave of a member of a family who were killed in an Israeli airstrike (AP)

Israel has ordered three Jews suspected in the kidnapping and killing of a Palestinian teenager held until Friday as they made their first court appearance.

  • Share
  • Go To

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the three have appeared before a court. He said the suspects admitted to abducting 16-year-old Mohammed Abu Khdeir and setting him on fire. Mr Rosenfeld said they also re-enacted the murder.

Mr Rosenfeld initially said the three had been charged in the killing but later corrected his statement to say they had been ordered held until Friday.

Abu Khdeir was taken on July 2 near his home in east Jerusalem and his charred body was later found in a forest. His death set off days of violent protests in Arab areas of Jerusalem and northern Israel.

Meanwhile, the Israeli military said it downed a drone launched by Gaza militants, the first time it encountered an unmanned aircraft since the start of its offensive last week, as new Israeli airstrikes killed four more Palestinians in the coastal strip.

Israel began its campaign against militants in the Hamas-controlled Gaza last Tuesday, saying it was responding to heavy rocket fire from the densely populated territory. The military says it has launched more than 1,300 airstrikes since then, while Palestinian militants have launched nearly 1,000 rockets at Israel.

The Palestinian health ministry in Gaza has said that 172 people died in Israeli air attacks, including dozens of civilians. That is without counting Monday's fatalities.

There have been no Israeli deaths as a result of Hamas rocket launches, though several people have been wounded, including a teenage boy who was seriously injured by rocket shrapnel on Sunday.

The Israeli military said the drone, launched from Gaza on Monday, was shot down in mid-flight by a Patriot surface-to-air missile along the southern Israeli coastline, near the city of Ashdod. In a statement to media, Hamas claimed it launched three drones at Israel on Monday, though the military insisted there was only one.

Hamas said it has developed two types of drones - one for intelligence gathering, and one for delivering munitions. It also said it lost contact with one of the drones and that the targets included the Israeli defence ministry compound in Tel Aviv.

It was the first time the militant group publicly acknowledged it has drones in its arsenal.

The use of drones with an offensive capacity could inflict significant casualties - something the rockets from Gaza have failed to do, largely because of the success of the Israeli military's Iron Dome air defence system in shooting them down.

"Hamas is trying everything it can to produce some kind of achievement and it is crucial that we maintain our high state of readiness," Israeli defence minister Moshe Yaalon said. "The shooting down of a drone this morning by our air defence system is an example of their efforts to strike at us in any way possible."

Meanwhile, Israel continued its aerial attacks on the Gaza Strip, with four Palestinians reported killed in two Israeli airstrikes on the southern city of Khan Younis, according to officials from the city's European Hospital.

The officials said Saddam Moamar, his wife Hanadai, and his father Mousa were killed by an airstrike that hit their house. Their neighbour, Maher Abu Mor, was killed in another airstrike while standing on the rooftop of his home, the officials said.

It was not immediately clear why their homes were targeted.

Press Association

Read More

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Editors Choice

Also in World News