Search for missing jet shifts south
Published 26/06/2014 | 07:22
The hunt for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane will shift farther south of the most recent suspected crash site in a remote stretch of Indian Ocean.
Transport minister Warren Truss told reporters in Canberra that the new search area is based on fresh analysis of existing satellite data from Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.
The plane vanished during a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8 with 239 passengers and crew aboard.
The shift was expected. The head of the Australian Transport Safety Bureau said last week it would move south of an area where a remote-controlled underwater drone spent weeks fruitlessly scouring (330 square miles) of seabed.
Martin Dolan, chief commissioner of the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, said that "certainly for its path across the Indian Ocean, we are confident that the aircraft was operating on autopilot until it ran out of fuel".
Mr Truss said officials have not attempted to fix a moment when the plane was put on autopilot.
Press AssociationFollow @Independent_ie