Sandy Hook parents shun 911 tapes
Some parents with children who were caught up in the mass killing at Sandy Hook Elementary School have said they will not listen to recordings of the 911 calls made from the school on the day of the shooting.
Andrew Paley, whose twin sons were in fourth grade last year, during the shooting on December 14 told the Connecticut Post that he undertood the legalities surrounding the release of the tapes but would not be listening to them.
"I have the choice not to listen to them ... the general public has the right to listen to them or not, " Paley said.
"I'm sure it will be hurtful to many people. It's still surreal a year later."
Christine Wilford, who has a son in third grade and a daughter in kindergarten at Sandy Hook Elementary School, said she also has no intention of listening to the tapes, or reading stories about them.
"I'm not happy it's happening," said Wilford, . "I don't plan to listen, and I want to keep my children away from it. My kids have not mentioned it at all. And we're just following their lead."
Neil Heslin, whose 6-year-old son Jesse Lewis was one of the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings said he hoped the tapes would not be exploited.
"It's been chaotic and a lot of turmoil with what happened," he said.
"And through all the politics of it, with gun issues and mental health, and even down to the funds and donations and the process with the state's attorney investigation and police, everyone has been unsettled.
"A lot of that now has fallen into place, and I'm hoping that after the beginning of the year things will calm to what a normal will be."