News World News

Monday 25 September 2017

Portugal rejects claims Monty Python star's film damaged historic convent

Gilliam had previously described the claims as
Gilliam had previously described the claims as "nonsense"

Portuguese authorities have rejected a television programme's claims that one of the country's most cherished historic monuments was damaged during the shooting of a film by Monty Python star Terry Gilliam.

The General-Directorate for Heritage said an investigation has found that the 12th-century Convent of Christ suffered only "insignificant" damage during a recent location shoot for The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.

The report said a programme by public broadcaster RTP alleging wider damage "lacked rigour and revealed a lack of scientific knowledge".

Gilliam has previously called the allegations "ignorant nonsense".

The convent was a stronghold of the Knights Templar, a Christian military order founded in 1119, and is classified as a World Heritage site by Unesco.

Press Association

Editors Choice

Also in World News