Tuesday 17 October 2017

Pistorius settles case with woman over assault

Oscar Pistorius
Oscar Pistorius

OSCAR Pistorius has reached a settlement with a woman over an alleged assault case from 2009 because his lawyers advised him he could not fight civil and criminal legal battles at the same time, a spokeswoman for the Olympic athlete said.

Double-amputee runner Pistorius, who goes on trial on a murder charge next month, was arrested and accused of causing an injury to a guest at a party at his house five years ago after allegedly slamming a door and then punching it.

Pistorius family spokeswoman Anneliese Burgess said the settlement agreement was finalised late last year with Cassidy Taylor-Memmory, who accused Pistorius of assault in the September 2009 incident. Ms Taylor-Memmory was reportedly injured in the leg when the door broke.

"The reasoning for the settlement being that Oscar was advised by his lawyers that he could not run a civil and criminal matter (side) by side," Ms Burgess said in a statement.

The matter had "no bearing" on Pistorius's murder trial, she added, and was settled "solely for the purposes of expediency".

Ms Burgess did not give any details of the settlement.

DENIAL

Pistorius will go on trial from March 3 on a charge of premeditated murder for the killing of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at his home last February 14, at a high court in South African capital Pretoria.

He denies murder and claims he shot Ms Steenkamp by mistake after believing she was a dangerous night-time intruder in his bathroom.

Regarding the 2009 case, Pistorius had launched a counter-claim against Ms Taylor-Memmory, accusing her of making up the assault.

The settlement involves Pistorius agreeing to pay her legal fees and also dropping his counter-claim against her.

"I agreed to it because I was so tired of it weighing me down," Ms Taylor-Memmory said, claiming she was harassed by the media and the public .

Irish Independent

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editors Choice

Also in World News