Tuesday 17 October 2017

Nurse sentenced to life imprisonment after murdering eight elderly patients in her care

Elizabeth Wettlaufer is escorted by police from the courthouse in Woodstock, Ont, Monday, June 26, 2017. Wettlaufer, a former Ontario nurse who murdered eight seniors in her care, was sentenced Monday to life in prison with no eligibility for parole for 25 years. Photo:Dave Chidley/The Canadian Press via AP
Elizabeth Wettlaufer is escorted by police from the courthouse in Woodstock, Ont, Monday, June 26, 2017. Wettlaufer, a former Ontario nurse who murdered eight seniors in her care, was sentenced Monday to life in prison with no eligibility for parole for 25 years. Photo:Dave Chidley/The Canadian Press via AP
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

A former nurse convicted of killing eight elderly people in her care in Canada has been sentenced to life imprisonment without possibility of parole for 25 years.

Elizabeth Wettlaufer pleaded guilty last month to eight counts of first-degree murder, four counts of attempted murder and two counts of aggravated assault over the notorious serial killings.

The 50-year-old told the court on Monday that she is truly sorry and hopes her victims' families can find peace and healing.

The 14 assaults on patients took place over the last decade in three Ontario long-term care facilities where Wettlaufer worked as a registered nurse and at a private home, authorities have said.

Wettlaufer admitted to using insulin in all of the cases from 2007-2016.

Susan Horvath, a daughter of victim Arpad Horvath, said she did not read her victim impact statement because she could not trust herself being too physically close to Wettlaufer in the courtroom.

"I am too angry," she said. "I didn't trust myself up there."

Laura Jackson, a friend of one of the victims, said Wettlaufer "should spend the rest of her life in a small box contemplating what she's done. It wasn't rash. It was calculated".

Shannon Emmerton, the granddaughter of another victim, said other nurses could potentially commit the same crime.

The Ontario government launched a public inquiry soon after the sentence was announced.

"We want to assure the public that Ontario's 78,000 long-term care residents are safe in their homes," Ontario's attorney general said in a statement.

"It is our hope that through the inquiry process, we will get the answers we need to help ensure that a tragedy such as this does not happen again."

Press Association

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editors Choice

Also in World News