Norwegian-British man freed from Congo jail will not face trial back home
A Norwegian-British man freed from a life sentence in a Congo prison for murder will not be tried back home, Norwegian authorities said.
Joshua French "has no conviction against him here", foreign minister Borge Brende said.
Mr French returned to the Scandinavian country on Wednesday.
The development came after an adviser to Congolese president Joseph Kabila told the Norwegian daily Dagbladet that Congo's government was expecting "French would meet the judicial system in Norway and would continue his sentencing there".
Mr Brende said it was a "Congolese decision" which led to Mr French being transferred to Norway after eight years in prison.
In 2014, Mr French was found guilty of strangling fellow Norwegian Tjostolv Moland. Both had been found guilty in 2009 of murdering their driver in Congo.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie