Saturday 21 October 2017

Warning issued to parents after girl (10) chokes on fidget spinner part

Mum Kelly Joniec issued a warning to parents over fidget spinners
Mum Kelly Joniec issued a warning to parents over fidget spinners
Catherine Devine

Catherine Devine

A 10-year-old girl was rushed to hospital after choking on the latest craze among kids.

Britton Joniec from Texas (10) was rushed into surgery after she choked on a piece of a fidget spinner.

Mum Kelly Joniec issued a warning to parents over fidget spinners
Mum Kelly Joniec issued a warning to parents over fidget spinners

Mum Kelly was driving when she heard "retching" sounds coming from the back seat.

"Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth – she could utter noises but looked panicked so I immediately pulled over.

Mum Kelly Joniec and her daughter Britton
Mum Kelly Joniec and her daughter Britton

"She pointed to her throat saying she'd swallowed something, so I attempted Heimlich but there was no resistance. She said she'd put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it."

Kelly rushed Britton straight to hospital where doctors struggled to remove the fidget spinner.

Mum Kelly Joniec issued a warning to parents over fidget spinners
Mum Kelly Joniec issued a warning to parents over fidget spinners

An X-ray showed that the spinner had become lodged in her oesophagus and needed surgery to remove.

"Fortunately we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while...not only because of the initial ingestion, but then the concern about the composition and structure of the object, and finally, the risk with general anesthesia."

Kelly said that parents should be cautious when giving children the toys.

"Fidget spinners are the current craze so they are widely distributed. Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings. The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids (under 8 yr old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard."

Online Editors

Editors Choice

Also in World News