Locals' terror as new 'creepy' clown sightings reported in the US
Worrying reports of creepy clowns scaring members of the public have spread across the United States after a new alleged sighting.
After reports of creepy clowns trying to lure children into woods in South Carolina, Jamie Hill posted a photo of a clown she claims she spotted on the 192 highway in the city of London, Kentucky.
She explained: “So, I was a little scared to post this because I didn't think anyone would believe me until Kelly Hill [a Facebook friend] told me that one of her friends just had seen a clown here in London.
“And I was out tonight and was headed back home on 192 and saw this. Now, it's not a really good picture because I couldn't stop, there [were] people behind me.
“I seriously think this clown thing has gotten out of hand and someone is going to get hurt. Please share this so people around London will know that they are here!”
In a follow-up post she added: “I didn't post that picture to get famous or any of that. I posted so people would be cautious.
“The person behind the clown may or may not have meant any harm. I don't know that. I wasn't going to stay around to talk to it. That's for sure.
“People saying it's fake and I just made it all up. I'm sorry to tell you, but it's not. (It) seems like ever since my post, clowns have (been) spotted in or around London.
“I just want people to be cautious. People that have kids, keep an eye out on them. They [were] trying to lure kids into the woods. Stay safe everyone and God bless.”
Police in South Carolina town have warned that anyone dressed as a clown could face arrest after reports of mystery figures frightening members of the public.
Clowns have also been spotted in North Carolina, Georgia and Alabama, WTVQ reports.
At a glance | Strange clown activity around the world
* In 2014, police in Agade, France, arrested 14 teenagers who were dressed as clowns, carrying weapons.
* A man known as the Northampton Clown terrified children and caused parents to become irate when he dressed as a clown and stood on street corners.
* In 2013, Lincolnshire police warned residents that there had been a spate of people dressing as clowns and intimidating locals.
* Also in 2013, police in Kings Lynn warned residents to stay away from clowns after reports of men dressed up in clown outfits terrifying residents.
* Again in 2013, a man known as the Mansfield Clown was known for terrifying residents in Nottinghamshire.
* In 2013, in Normanton, near Wakefield, West Yorkshire, residents urged police to take action after clowns were spotted scaring residents.