Burning Man festival horror: man who died after diving into flames was attending event for the first time
The mother of a man who died after plunging into a massive fire at the Burning Man festival says he was attending the festival in Nevada for the first time.
Authorities say Aaron Joel Mitchell was not under the influence of alcohol, but toxicology tests are under way for other drugs.
Mr Mitchell's mother told the Reno Gazette Journal that he worked in construction and loved the outdoors.
Johnnye Mitchell says her son was from McAlester, Oklahoma, and had been living in Switzerland with his wife.
The 41-year-old died after breaking through two layers of security as a giant wooden effigy burned on Saturday.
The festival ended on Sunday with the burning of another giant wooden figure.
About 50,000 people attended that signature ceremony.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie