New body found after ferry disaster
Published 05/06/2014 | 10:52
Another victim of the South Korean ferry disaster has been retrieved from the water, raising the death toll to 289.
The body was found floating about 25 miles away from where the ship sank off the south coast, the government said, adding that fingerprint scans identified the body as one of passengers from the ferry Sewol which sank in April.
It was the first body recovered since May 21. Heavy objects like desks and cabinets have made it difficult for divers to navigate unsearched parts of the ferry, and they have been cutting open parts of the ship's exterior to make searches easier.
Fifteen people are still listed as missing.
The discovery came as South Korea awaits the results of key elections seen as a test of public sentiment toward president Park Geun-hye's handling of the disaster.
Her approval ratings have plummeted since the April 16 sinking, which led to an outpouring of rage.
The latest victim, whose surname was Cho, was travelling with his family to the southern resort island of Jeju. His wife and an 11-year-old son had already been found dead while his seven-year-old son was rescued, according to the recovery taskforce.
Officials said Mr Cho was born in 1970, making him either 43 or 44.
Most of the ferry victims were students from a single high school near Seoul who were on a school trip to Jeju.