Wednesday 26 July 2017

'War-torn Yemen is facing a man-made famine of Biblical proportions,' says aid expert

Malnourished girl Jamila Ali Abdu (7) lies on a hospital bed on Tuesday before she died in the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah, Yemen. Photo: Reuters/Abduljabbar Zeyad
Malnourished girl Jamila Ali Abdu (7) lies on a hospital bed on Tuesday before she died in the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah, Yemen. Photo: Reuters/Abduljabbar Zeyad

Tom Miles

Yemen faces a "famine of Biblical proportions", veteran aid expert Jan Egeland warned yesterday during a visit to the war-battered nation, expressing fury over the failure of the "men with guns and power" to end the crisis.

Yemen's two years of civil war have pitted the Iran-aligned Houthi rebel group against a Saudi-backed coalition, causing economic collapse and severely restricting the food and fuel imports on which Yemen traditionally depends.

The United Nations conservatively estimates that more than 10,000 people have been killed, according to data from the health facilities that are still functioning. Experts fear the real figure is higher.

Mr Egeland, who heads the Norwegian Refugee Council and also advises the UN on Syrian humanitarian operations, told Reuters by telephone from the Yemeni capital Sanaa that although Yemen's war was smaller than Syria's, it had led to an epic disaster.

"All our efforts through the World Food Programme reached 3.1 million of seven million people who are on the brink of famine. So it means basically that four million people got nothing in April and these people are staring into the naked eye of starvation.

"We will have a famine of Biblical proportions, if it continues like now with only a portion of those in greatest need getting humanitarian relief," he said after visiting Sanaa, the port of Aden and the town of Amran.

Mr Egeland, a former head of the UN humanitarian office, said the crisis was not getting the international attention it needed because few journalists or diplomats could get into the country.

"I'm coming out of here angry with those men with power and guns, inside Yemen, in regional capitals and international capitals who are not able to fix this man-made crisis," he said.

Half-a-million children could die at any time, and many are already doing so "quietly and tragically" in their homes, he added.

Mr Egeland urged the US and Britain to help stop the war. They are allies of Saudi Arabia, leader of the alliance seeking to restore the internationally recognised Aden-based government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi. In a separate statement, he also appealed to Saudi Arabia, Iran and the United Arab Emirates to stop adding "fuel to this fire". The Sunni Muslim Gulf Arabs see Shi'ite Iran, their arch foe, as bent on regional domination, something Tehran denies.

Mr Egeland said all relevant countries should work towards securing a ceasefire and "meaningful peace talks" as well as the lifting of economic restrictions and sanctions that have exacerbated the humanitarian crisis.

Last month a UN pledging conference for Yemen raised promises of $1.1bn (€1bn), about half of what is needed for the year. Without an immediate and massive injection of new cash, Mr Egeland said, the aid flow will halt by July.

But the key to ending the humanitarian crisis is reviving the shattered economy, as it is not possible to maintain a nation of 27 million people with aid injections, he said.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News