US plans strike on Syria over gas attack
THE US and Britain are planning to launch military action against Syria within days in response to the gas attack believed to have been carried out by President Bashar al-Assad's forces against his own people.
Royal Navy vessels are being readied to take part in a possible series of cruise missile strikes, alongside the US, as military commanders finalise a list of potential targets.
British government sources said talks between Prime Minister David Cameron and international leaders, including President Barack Obama, would continue but that any military action that was agreed could begin within the next week.
As the preparations gathered pace, William Hague, Britain's foreign secretary, warned that the world could not stand by and allow the Assad regime to use chemical weapons against the Syrian people "with impunity".
"Britain, the US and their allies must show Mr Assad that to perpetrate such an atrocity is to cross a line and that the world will respond when that line is crossed," he said.
British forces now look likely to be drawn into an intervention in the Syrian crisis after months of deliberation and international disagreement over how to respond to the long and bloody civil war.
The escalation comes as a direct response to what the government is now convinced was a gas attack perpetrated by Syrian forces on a civilian district of Damascus last Wednesday.
The Assad regime has been under mounting pressure to allow United Nations inspectors on to the site.
One international agency said it had counted at least 355 people dead and 3,600 injured following the attack, while reports suggested the true death toll could be as high as 1,300.
Syrian state media accused rebel forces of using chemical agents, saying some government soldiers had suffocated as a result during fighting.
After days of delay, the Syrian government finally offered yesterday to allow a team of UN inspectors access to the area. However, Mr Hague suggested that this offer of access five days after the attack had come too late.
"We cannot in the 21st Century allow the idea that chemical weapons can be used with impunity, that people can be killed in this way and that there are no consequences for it," he said.
Mr Hague said all the evidence "points in one direction", to the use of illegal chemical agents by Assad regime forces.
A government source added that even if UN inspectors visited the site of the attack, "we would need convincing by the UN team that this was not the regime's attack because we believe everything points to the fact that it was".
Officials said the Assad regime has continued bombarding the area in the days since the attack took place last Wednesday, making it likely that any evidence, which could establish who was responsible, will have been destroyed.
Mr Cameron interrupted his holiday in Cornwall for talks with Mr Obama, Francois Hollande, the French president, and Angela Merkel, the German chancellor. All the leaders agreed on the need for a "serious response". Government sources confirmed that military action was among the options "on the table" but said no decisions had been taken.
Any retaliatory attack would be likely to be launched from the sea. A Royal Navy nuclear-powered submarine is said to be in the region while a number of warships recently left Britain for exercises in the Mediterranean.
If military action is approved, the first wave of missiles could start within a week.
The Royal Navy declined to comment on the positions of its submarines, but they regularly pass through the area on their way to the Suez Canal.
America's Sixth Fleet has four guided missile destroyers in the area. (© Daily Telegraph, London)
By Tim Ross and Ben Farmer