The five innocent men beheaded by Jihadi John in IS propaganda videos
Published 13/11/2015 | 08:31
Jihadi John appeared in a number of videos in which hostages appeared to be beheaded. Here is information about some of those who died.
US journalist James Foley was the first to be shown in what was to become a series of videos appearing to show beheadings. The footage, released in August, faded to black just as a knife was held to his neck by the man who would become known as Jihadi John.
The 40-year-old had been abducted in Syria in November 2012. His family said they found comfort in being told by fellow captives that Mr Foley had "brought a light to that very dark place and his life brought a light".
Steven Sotloff had appeared in the background of the video featuring James Foley. The 31-year-old, also a journalist from the US, had been last seen in Syria in August 2013 when it is believed he was abducted close to the border with Turkey near the city of Aleppo.
He had been working in Libya and was writing about issues from the Middle East, particularly the Syrian civil war.
His mother Shirley Sotloff had pleaded for his release after the video of Mr Foley appeared, describing him as "an innocent journalist", but he was apparently beheaded in footage which emerged on September 2.
British aid worker David Haines was shown in a video on September 13 last year. He had been held by Islamic State for 18 months after being captured during his first mission bringing aid to Syrians caught up in conflict.
The former RAF engineer, who was born in Yorkshire but raised in Perth, first appeared in the background of a video in which US journalist Steve Sotloff was killed.
His brother Mike described the 44-year-old father-of-two as a "charitable and selfless" person who had dedicated his life to serving people across the world in need of help.
The 47-year-old taxi driver from Salford had gone to Syria to help deliver aid after being deeply-affected by the plight of orphan children in the war-torn country.
He was kidnapped after going over the border from Turkey in December 2013 and held hostage by Isis for 10 months. He appeared to be killed in a video released on October 3.
Mr Henning's daughter Lucy told how she found out about his execution by seeing photos on social media site Instagram.
In footage from the Turkish border filmed shortly before his capture, Mr Henning spoke about his aid work. He said: "No sacrifice we do is nothing compared to what they are going through every day, on a daily basis."
American Peter Kassig was captured in Syria in October 2013 while providing medical training and humanitarian aid to victims of the country's conflict.
Footage showing his beheading emerged on November 16. He had taken the first name Abdul-Rahman after converting to Islam during captivity
During a memorial service after his death, Hazem Bata, executive director of the Islamic Society of North America said: "We're here because of how he lived. We're here because of the type of man he chose to be. We're here because of his selflessness."
The 47-year-old Japanese journalist and film-maker was captured by militants near Aleppo, Syria, in summer 2014 and appeared in an apparent beheading video on January 31.
He had travelled to Syria just three months after his second daughter was born. Before his last trip, he made a video recording in which he said he would always love the Syrian people "no matter what happens to me".
His father Shoichi described him as kind and brave.