Tuesday 6 December 2016

Taliban suicide bomb attack on the Afghan parliament wounds 25

Ali M Latifi in Kabul

Published 23/06/2015 | 02:30

Members of security forces and police officers stand at the site of an attack near the Afghan parliament in Kabul. Photo: Reuters
Members of security forces and police officers stand at the site of an attack near the Afghan parliament in Kabul. Photo: Reuters

A TALIBAN suicide bomber and seven gunmen attacked the Afghan parliament yesterday, wounding around 25 people and sending a plume of black smoke across Kabul, as a second district in two days fell to the Islamist group in the north.

  • Go To

The attack on the symbolic centre of power, one of the most brazen in years, along with a series of Taliban gains elsewhere, raise questions about the Nato-trained Afghan security forces' ability to cope.

"A suicide bomber blew himself up just outside the parliament building and several fighters took positions in a building close to parliament," said Ebadullah Karimi, spokesman for Kabul police.

The suicide bomber struck the entrance to the Afghan parliament and gunmen tried to storm the heavily guarded compound, setting off a gunbattle with police that left two people dead as lawmakers were meeting inside to vote on the appointment of a new defence minister.

Afghan security forces managed to repel the attack, killing all seven gunmen and ensuring that no members of parliament were harmed. But the audacious assault came as the Taliban captured two districts in as many days in the country's north, displaying their ability to operate on multiple fronts.

A live broadcast showed lawmakers evacuating the building shortly after the car bomb was detonated, around 10.30am local time.

Violence has spiralled in Afghanistan since the departure of most foreign forces at the end of last year as the insurgents push to take territory more than 13 years after the US-led military intervention that toppled the Taliban from power.

Foreign fighters

The ministry of public health said 25 civilians, including five women and three children suffered injuries from the attack.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed responsibility.

"We have launched an attack on parliament as there was an important gathering to introduce the country's defence minister," he said by phone.

The attack marked the first major assault by the Taliban since the start of the holy month of Ramadan.

"The attack against parliament, for which the Taliban have claimed responsibility, is a clear and deliberate affront to democracy in Afghanistan," said Tadamichi Yamamoto, the UN secretary-general's deputy special representative for Afghanistan.

The withdrawal of foreign forces and a reduction in US air strikes have allowed the Taliban to launch several major attacks in important Afghan provinces.

The second district to fall to the Taliban was in the northern province of Kunduz. Officials said it fell yesterday after urgently needed reinforcements failed to arrive.

The Taliban captured Dasht-e-Archi district a day after hundreds of militants fought their way to the centre of the adjacent district of Chardara.

"The Taliban managed to take it over this morning as the area has been surrounded for days," Nasruddin Saeedi, the district governor who escaped to the provincial capital, Kunduz city, said.

"They are many foreign fighters with heavy machine guns. We have asked for reinforcements, but none arrived."

Afghan soldiers were preparing a counterattack to retake both districts, another local official said. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Telegraph.co.uk

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News