independent

Thursday 17 April 2014

Suicide bomber kills 11 in Egypt

Militants scored two more successes in their campaign against the Egyptian government yesterday, killing 11 soldiers in north Sinai and penetrating Cairo's security cordon to strike at a police checkpoint.

The soldiers, part of a group being taken back to Cairo on leave, were killed when a car driven by a suicide bomber drove into one of the four buses carrying them between Rafah, on the border with the Gaza strip, and El-Arish, the main town in northern Sinai. Officials said 34 other soldiers were injured.

"The precious blood of our sons strengthens our resolve to cleanse Egypt and shield its sons from violence and treacherous terrorism," an army spokesman, Col Ahmed Ali, said.

In the second attack in Egypt, a bomb was thrown at a police checkpoint in northern Cairo, injuring four officers.

Sinai has suffered sporadic attacks for some years, but they became worse after the overthrow of President Hosni Mubarak and amid the subsequent security vacuum.

At the same time, efforts were made to close down the smuggling networks into Gaza which had been the economic mainstay of the Rafah-Arish area.

A large-scale military response began in September, with the army regularly moving in to clear villages, arrest suspects and destroy the houses of alleged militants and smugglers.

Irish Independent

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Independent.ie on Twitter

More

Most Read

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News