Six schoolboys killed as suicide bomber attacks US military convoy
A suicide bomber detonated a motorbike packed with explosives outside a school in Afghanistan today, killing at least six students, two US soldiers and a policeman.
About 20 people were wounded in the attack near the office of the governor of Paktia province. Most were schoolchildren, but they also included five US soldiers.
The bomber struck at about 11.30am next to Samkani Boys High School as the convoy of US soldiers and members of the Afghan Local Police (ALP) was nearby.
"There were American soldiers and ALP close to the high school when the bomber detonated his explosives," Paktia police chief General Zalmai Oriakhil said.
He said at least 10 students had died, along with one ALP officer. About 20 people were wounded, he said.
A statement by the the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said two ISAF service members and six Afghan civilians had been killed. As per usual practice, it did not identify the nationality of the ISAF soldiers.
A witness who visited the hospital where the casualties were taken said most of the injured were schoolchildren aged under 12.
Concerns are mounting over how the 352,000-strong Afghan security forces will cope with an intensifying insurgency once most foreign troops leave by the end of next year.
The US-led force says the insurgency is responsible for about 86pc of all civilian casualties - or about 1,500 people - across the country this year.
Also on Monday, a roadside bomb struck a truck and killed seven Afghans, including five women in Mehtarlam, the capital of eastern Laghman province, the interior ministry said.
At the weekend, four Americans - three soldiers and an ISAF contractor - were killed in three incidents in the east and south of the country.