Thursday 29 September 2016

Pakistan court frees eight of 10 Malala attackers

Jibran Ahmad

Published 06/06/2015 | 02:30

Malala Yousafzai
Malala Yousafzai

A Pakistani court has freed eight out of 10 people charged with organising the shooting of Pakistani schoolgirl activist Malala Yousafzai, police said yesterday.

  • Go To

Senior police official Salim Khan said the eight men were freed because there was not enough evidence to connect them to the 2012 attack.

Police had said in April that all 10 had been convicted and jailed for 25 years each in a trial held behind closed doors.

"The only reason for their release was lack of proof against them," Mr Khan said.

Pakistani Taliban militants claimed responsibility for attacking Malala in Swat, north-west of the capital, Islamabad. She was shot in the head and airlifted to Britain for treatment, where she now lives. Two other schoolgirls were wounded.

Prosecutor Naeem Khan said: "During the trial, all the 10 persons had admitted and confessed their role in Malala's attack before the judge of anti-terrorism court. But only two of them, Izhar Khan and Israrullah Khan, were convicted," he said.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News