Sunday 23 July 2017

NATO set to take command of Libya operations

Bruno Waterfield in Brussels

NATO will take control of military operations in Libya this weekend in an effort to put a quick end to the "appalling violence" of the Gaddafi regime.

Under a deal hammered out in bad-tempered negotiations yesterday between Britain, the US, France and Turkey, the alliance will assume a leading military role within 48 hours.

During a teleconference with Hillary Clinton, the US Secretary of State, and the French and Turkish foreign ministers, William Hague reminded Nato allies why military operations had been launched in Libya.

"Appalling violence against Libyan citizens continues to take place, exposing the regime's claims to have ordered a ceasefire to be an utter sham," he said.

Earlier Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkey's prime minister, had lashed out at French "crusaders" plotting to grab Libya's oil wealth. He said: "I wish that those who only see oil and gold mines . . . when they look in that direction, would see the region through glasses of conscience from now on." (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News