Lockerbie bomber’s son allows cameras in to see how ill father is
The son of the Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi has allowed a team of British journalists into his home to show UK residents how ill his cancer-stricken father is.
Khalid al-Megrahi said his family had allowed television cameras access to their Tripoli residence in an attempt to quash rumours that the convicted killer was in good health and had left Libya.
In an interview with the BBC's Middle East editor Jeremy Bowen, he said: "He's very ill and he's now in deep sleep and he's stopped eating.
"I want everybody, especially in UK and specific in Scotland, to see my dad, how he's doing. He's so sick, because I see in the news some people say he's not sick and some people say he's not at home and some people say he's run away. But I would say I want you to come to see my dad and he can't move from his room."
Footage recorded by the BBC showed Megrahi, who was found guilty of the 1988 bombing of Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie, lying on a bed with a machine monitoring his heartbeat.
He was ordered to serve a minimum of 27 years for the atrocity that caused the death of all 259 people on board and 11 people on the ground.
However, Megrahi was released from a Scottish prison in 2009 on compassionate grounds after being diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Last month Megrahi's relatives allowed a reporting team from American news channel CNN to enter the house and film him in his bed.
A Scottish Government spokesman said: "Mr Al-Megrahi is an extremely sick man, dying of terminal prostate cancer, and matters regarding his medical condition should really be left there. It is in no one's interest for there to be a running commentary on Mr Al-Megrahi's medical condition, and we have no intention of providing one."
Meanwhile, it was reported that convoys of supporters loyal to Colonel Muammar Gaddafi have fled across the Sahara into bordering Niger.
One group, which is said to include the embattled dictator's security chief, entered the country's capital Niamey on Monday, according to Niger officials. They said Colonel Gaddafi had not travelled with the convoy.
The US has urged Niger to detain anyone who might be subject to prosecution in Libya, confiscate weapons and impound any state property such as money or jewels that were illegally taken out of the country.
Colonel Gaddafi's spokesman has claimed the dictator is still in Libya and ready to fight to the death.
Moussa Ibrahim told Syrian-based television station Arrai TV: "The leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi is in excellent health in high spirits.
"He is present and well and in good health and in a place that can't be reached by those fractious groups and he is in Libya."
Prime Minister David Cameron has warned that the people of Libya will not be safe so long as the tyrant remains at large and vowed that Britain would not let up on its military efforts "until the job is done".
Members of the National Transitional Council yesterday held talks with tribal elders from Bani Walid - one of Gaddafi's last remaining strongholds where several prominent members of the former regime are thought to be holed up - in a bid to negotiate a peaceful handover.
Mustafa Abdul-Jalil, the head of the NTC warned that the tribal town had until Friday to surrender before rebel forces moved in.
A deadline for the surrender of Gaddafi's hometown of Sirte has been extended until Saturday.