Thursday 8 December 2016

Kurdish forces in new assault on Isil in Mosul

Terror group in wave of diversionary attacks

Joseph Krauss

Published 24/10/2016 | 02:30

Smoke rises from Isil positions in the town of Naweran, near Mosul Photo: Reuters
Smoke rises from Isil positions in the town of Naweran, near Mosul Photo: Reuters

Iraqi and Kurdish forces advanced on a town near Mosul last night as part of an operation to retake the northern city from Isil, which staged an assault in western Iraq that appeared to be a diversionary attack.

  • Go To

The Kurdish forces, known as peshmerga, said they "cordoned off" eight villages northeast of Mosul and were now just a few kilometres from its outskirts. They said the cordoned-off area measured around 100 sq km and that they also secured a "significant stretch" of highway.

A displaced girl who recently fled Mosul with her family Photo: Reuters
A displaced girl who recently fled Mosul with her family Photo: Reuters

Eight car bombs were destroyed in the operation, including three by US-led coalition aircraft, and "dozens" of militants were killed.

Those gains came after Iraqi and Kurdish forces launched an offensive against the nearby town of Bashiqa. Maj Gen Haider Fadhil, of Iraq's special forces, said they had also taken part in the operation, and that the town was surrounded.

Over the last week, Iraqi and Kurdish forces have been battling Isil in a belt of mostly uninhabited towns and villages around Mosul, contending with roadside bombs, snipers and suicide truck bombs.

In western Iraq, Isil militants stormed into the town of Rutba, unleashing three suicide car bombs that were blown up before hitting their targets, according to the spokesman for the Joint Military Command, Brig Gen Yahya Rasool.

Iraqi children celebrate after the village of al-Khuwayn, south of Mosul, was recaptured from Isil by Iraqi government forces Photo: AFP/Getty Images
Iraqi children celebrate after the village of al-Khuwayn, south of Mosul, was recaptured from Isil by Iraqi government forces Photo: AFP/Getty Images

He said some militants were killed but insisted the militants did not seize any government buildings and that the situation "is under control".

Lt Gen Stephen Townsend, the top US commander in Iraq, confirmed there had been a complex attack in Rutba and said he expected more such attacks as the militants tried to divert attention from Mosul.

Isil carried out a large assault on the northern city of Kirkuk on Friday, in which more than 50 militants stormed government compounds and other targets, setting off more than 24 hours of heavy fighting and killing at least 80 people, mainly security forces.

The Mosul offensive involves more than 25,000 Iraqi ground forces as well as US-led coalition aircraft and advisers. It is expected to take weeks, if not months, to drive Isil from Mosul, which is home to more than a million civilians.

Displaced Iraqi families arrive near a checkpoint east of Mosul as they flee areas of unrest while fires burn in the background Photo: AFP/Getty Images
Displaced Iraqi families arrive near a checkpoint east of Mosul as they flee areas of unrest while fires burn in the background Photo: AFP/Getty Images

Bashiqa is close to a military base of the same name where some 500 Turkish troops are training Sunni and Kurdish fighters for the Mosul offensive.

The presence of the Turkish troops has angered Iraq, which says it never gave them permission to enter the country and has called on them to withdraw. Turkey has refused, insisting that it plays a role in retaking Mosul from Isil.

US Defence Secretary Ash Carter has visited both countries in recent days, and arrived in the Kurdish regional capital, Erbil yesterday.

After meeting Turkey's leaders, Carter had announced an "agreement in principle" for Turkey to have a role in the operation. But Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi told Mr Carter on Saturday that Mosul was an "Iraqi battle".

Displaced people who recently fled Mosul with their families wait to be allocated spaces at the Debaga refugee camp on the outskirts of nearby Erbil Photo: Reuters
Displaced people who recently fled Mosul with their families wait to be allocated spaces at the Debaga refugee camp on the outskirts of nearby Erbil Photo: Reuters

The forces taking part in the Mosul offensive include Iraqi troops, the peshmerga, Sunni tribal fighters and state-sanctioned Shiite militias. Many fear the operation could heighten tensions between Iraq's different communities, which are allied against Isil but divided over a host of other issues, including the fate of territories near mostly Sunni Mosul that are claimed by the largely autonomous Kurdish region and the central government.

Mr Carter praised the peshmerga, saying they "fight extremely well", but also acknowledged that they had suffered casualties.

Brig Gen Halgord Hekmet, a spokesman for the Kurdish forces, said 25 of their troops have been killed since the battle to retake Mosul began and a "large number" had been wounded.

He said the peshmerga have had good coalition air support, but could use more armoured vehicles and roadside bomb detectors. Most of the fallen peshmerga were travelling in regular cars, he said.

The UN agency for children has meanwhile expressed concern over the more than 4,000 people it says have fled from areas around Mosul.

Unicef's Iraq representative, Peter Hawkins, said that in at least one refugee camp the conditions for children were "very, very poor". He said Unicef teams delivered water, sanitation and other supplies expected to last seven days.

They also provided immunisations against polio and measles, which he said had not been available during the more than two years that the people lived under Isil rule. Unicef has plans to assist more than 784,000 people, including up to 500,000 children.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News