independent

Saturday 19 April 2014

Israeli air barrage kills children playing football

A boy sits next to the body of six-month-old Palestinian baby Mohammed al-Borai in a mosque before his funeral in Gaza yesterday. Al-Borai was killed after Israeli military aircraft bombed the Hamas-run Interior Ministry in Gaza city on Wednesday, hospital officials said

Four boys playing football have been killed in Gaza by Israeli air strikes, according to Palestinian officials, as Israel responded to the death of a man from a barrage of rocket attacks with a bloody escalation of violence.

At least 16 Palestinians, including the four children, were killed yesterday as Israel responded to the deadly attacks the previous day.

While the Israeli military said it had been targeting militants and rocket-launching squads, the officials said the boys were playing football close to their homes in Jabalya, northern Gaza.

A relative, Ahmed Dardouna (42), said the family had located the bodies of the boys, reportedly two brothers and their cousins, at a local hospital after they failed to return home.

Rocket fire from militants into Israel continued during the day, injuring two Israelis and forcing Israeli Interior Minister Avi Dichter to take cover during a visit to the border town of Sderot. His bodyguard was one of those injured in a rocket attack launched before the minister arrived. Four rockets reached Ashkelon, 12 miles north of Gaza.

Palestinian officials said that while the majority killed were militants, 10 civilians were among the total of at least 27 killed over the past two days n seven of which were children.

Roadblock

They said that one Palestinian was killed and four wounded in a helicopter attack on a police roadblock 150 yards from the home of the de facto Hamas prime minister Ismail Haniyeh.

Although Mr Haniyeh is said to have gone into hiding and was not at home at the time, the attacks were locally interpreted as a warning to Hamas's political leadership that the coastal area of the Beach refugee camp where he lives should not be used for launching rockets.

The latest outbreak of violence began on Wednesday when an air strike killed five militants, described by Hamas as "five of our best fighters", as they drove in a van in the southern Gaza town of Khan Yunis.

Hamas claimed responsibility for a subsequent and unusually heavy retaliatory barrage of more than 40 Qassam rockets, one of which killed a 47-year-old father of four at the Sapir College in Sderot.

Israel swiftly responded with a series of air strikes beginning on Wednesday, killing two other children aged 10 and 11, according to Palestinian officials.

A missile attack on the Ministry of Interior building on Wednesday evening killed a baby, Mohammed al-Burai, living nearby and caused severe destruction at the offices of the Oxfam-funded Palestinian Medical Relief Society.

Oxfam said the missile destroyed £15,000 (€19,600) of drugs in the pharmacy, a disabled centre catering for 400 chronically ill patients, an ambulance and a generator needed during the frequent power cuts in Gaza.

The Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak yesterday hinted at the possibility of a large-scale ground operation in response to the Qassam fire, saying: "We must prepare for continued escalation.

Perpetrators

We are not eager [to carry out such an operation], and not shying away from it. Israel will reach the perpetrators and Hamas will pay a price for its actions."

But Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, who met the US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in Tokyo, where he is on an official visit, said there were no "magic formulas" to eliminate rocket fire. He added: "We are suffering painful blows, but are returning more painful blows. We will continue fighting in order for the danger to the residents to end."

One of the Palestinians killed was Hamza al-Haya, the son of a senior Hamas Palestinian Khalil al-Haya and said by the Islamic faction to have commanded a rocket-launching squad in northern Gaza.

There were unconfirmed reports that a fifth child was also killed in Jabalya last night. As the Palestinian foreign minister, Riyad al-Malki, condemned both the Qassam attacks and the Israeli military actions, Nabil Abu Rdeineh, spokesman for the Palestinian President, Mahmoud Abbas, said yesterday's air strikes "meant only one thing: the Israeli government ... aims to destroy the peace process".

Ms Rice said: "I am concerned about the innocent people in Gaza being hurt. We have to remember that the Hamas activities are responsible for what has happened in Gaza." (© The Independent, London)

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Independent.ie on Twitter

More

Most Read

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News