Sunday 11 December 2016

Israel vows revenge as seven die in road attack

Donald Macintyre in Jerusalem

Published 19/08/2011 | 05:00

A soldier injured in
yesterday's attack is
brought to hospital in
Beersheeva, Israel
A soldier injured in yesterday's attack is brought to hospital in Beersheeva, Israel
The driver on the ambushed bus at Eilat

AT LEAST seven Israelis were killed yesterday in bold and co-ordinated attacks by gunmen armed with assault rifles, mortars and a roadside bomb.

  • Go To

They were said by Israel to have infiltrated the country from Gaza through an increasingly lawless Sinai Peninsula.

Israel said the attack, which exacted the worst death toll on its citizens on a single day for more than three years, underlined growing concerns it had been expressing in recent months to the post-Mubarak authorities in Egypt and the international community about the capacity of militant groups to exploit instability in Sinai.

Shortly after the attacks, as fierce gun battles continued in the area between the militants and pursuing Israeli troops, the Defence Minister Ehud Barak said: "The incident underscores the weak Egyptian hold on Sinai and the broadening of the activities of terrorists. The real source of the terror is in Gaza and we will act against them with full force and determination."

The Israeli reaction was swift. Up to six Palestinians were reported to have been killed in Rafah before sundown yesterday in the first of what Gazans expected to be a series of Israeli air strikes on the territory in retribution for the attacks, which also left up to 40 soldiers and civilians wounded.

Hamas, Gaza's ruling faction, strongly denied involvement in the operation and promised "to defend the strip and with all the strength it has against any aggression" by Israel.

Unconfirmed reports said the dead Palestinians included members of the militant group the Popular Resistance Committees, including the leader of its military wing, named as Abu Awad Neirab. A senior Israeli defence official said last night that gunfire from both sides of the Israel-Egypt border had continued into the evening.

Manhunt

The attacks began around midday, when gunmen armed with AK 47 rifles fired on a 392 Egged bus from Beersheeva to the Red Sea resort of Eilat. More than a dozen injured passengers were taken 20km to hospital in Eilat as troops began an extensive manhunt for the assailants.

One passenger, Idan Kaner, said: "We heard a shot and saw a window explode. I didn't really understand what was happening at first. After another shot, there was chaos."

Over the next hour, up to three private cars were fired at, before a military patrol vehicle ran over a roadside bomb a few miles from the scene of the original attack.

The military said seven gunmen had been "targeted" in fierce exchanges of fire with Israeli troops, and that the Israeli dead were six civilians and one soldier.

Two people were reportedly critically wounded during renewed gunfire in the area yesterday.

Mark Regev, spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, said there was "specific information" the attackers came from Gaza.

"This is not an assessment. This is not an estimation. This is very, very precise information that they came out of Gaza. We have no doubt."

Mr Barak's earlier statement did not identify Hamas, but Israeli officials made clear they were standing by their policy of holding the Islamic faction responsible for any attacks from Gaza.

Last night, organisers of the escalating social protests against the Israeli government's economic policies announced they were cancelling a series of rallies planned for this weekend, out of respect for the victims of yesterday's attack. (© Independent News Service)

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News