Tuesday 21 October 2014

Israel launches ground offensive in bid to destroy Hamas' weapons

David Blair

Published 18/07/2014 | 02:30

Israel launched a large-scale ground offensive in the Gaza Strip
A convey of Israeli tanks manoeuvre near the border with the Gaza Strip, after the end of a five-hour humanitarian truce
A convey of Israeli tanks manoeuvre near the border with the Gaza Strip, after the end of a five-hour humanitarian truce
Smoke is seen after an Israeli strike over the northern Gaza Strip, after a five-hour humanitarian truce
Smoke is seen after an Israeli strike over the northern Gaza Strip, after a five-hour humanitarian truce

Israel has launched a large-scale ground offensive in the Gaza Strip, escalating a 10-day military operation to try to destroy Hamas' weapons arsenal, rocket firing abilities and tunnels under the Palestinian territory's border with Israel.

It was the first major Israeli ground offensive in Gaza in just over five years. It came hours after Hamas militants tried to infiltrate Israel through a tunnel under the Gaza-Israel border, but were stopped by Israel.

Lt Col Peter Lerner, an Israeli military spokesman, said the operation is open-ended.

"We will be striking the infrastructure," he said. "We will be striking the operatives in order to safeguard the civilians of the state of Israel especially issues to do with tunnelling, that was exemplified earlier today."

Thousands of Israeli soldiers had massed on the border with Gaza in recent days, waiting for the order to go in.

The operation also followed a brief truce earlier in which Israel held fire to allow Gazans to stock up on food and other necessities after being largely holed up at home since the conflict began last month.

Israeli strikes have hit more than 2,000 targets in Gaza and Hamas launched nearly 1,500 rockets at Israel, the Israeli military has said.

In 10 days of fighting in Gaza, 237 Palestinians have been killed, including many children. Israel has suffered one fatality.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu instructed the army to go ahead after Hamas rejected an Egyptian ceasefire plan earlier in the week and after Hamas militants tried to infiltrate into Israel through a tunnel from Gaza.

"In light of the despicable and relentless aggression by Hamas and the dangerous infiltration into Israel, Israel is obliged to protect its citizens," the statement said.

Israel last carried out a major ground offensive in Gaza in January 2009.

Children

Earlier, an Israeli air strike killed three children from the same family in Gaza City.

Two boys and a girl between the ages of eight and 10 were killed when their home was hit.

Their grandfather, Marzouk Shahaibar, said they had gone on the roof of the home to feed pigeons. The deaths come a day after four cousins aged nine to 11 were killed on the beach bwest of Gaza City.

Earlier yesterday, rockets streaked over Gaza City and tower blocks reverberated to the thud of air strikes after a five-hour "humanitarian" ceasefire ended with renewed hostilities between Israel and Hamas.

Israel had agreed to a request from the United Nations for a truce to allow the distribution of aid. Hamas also promised to suspend its rocket attacks.

When the ceasefire ended at 3pm, rockets were fired immediately towards the southern Israeli city of Ashkelon. At 5pm, four rockets were fired from the centre of Gaza City. The explosions of Israeli air strikes were soon audible. A complete ceasefire agreement is being negotiated by Egyptian mediators in Cairo, where both Israel and Hamas have sent delegations. But reports of a deal were soon discounted.

Thousands of Palestinians have fled their homes, particularly in areas near the border with Israel. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Telegraph.co.uk

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in World News