Tuesday 25 October 2016

Irish citizen evacuated from Yemen amid political upheaval and violence

Published 03/04/2015 | 21:45

Supporters of Yemen's former President Ali Abdullah Saleh shout slogans during a rally against air strikes in Sanaa April 3. Reuters/Mohamed al-Sayaghi
Supporters of Yemen's former President Ali Abdullah Saleh shout slogans during a rally against air strikes in Sanaa April 3. Reuters/Mohamed al-Sayaghi

An Irish citizen has been evacuated from Yemen amid political upheaval and violence in the Gulf nation.

  • Go To

The Irish citizen was one of 225 foreign nationals picked up from Aden, Yemen’s second city, and transported to Dijbouti.

A spokesman from the Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed the Irish citizen had been safely evacuated and was returning home.

“It’s a consular case, we provided consular assistance to an Irish citizen in terms of leaving Yemen,” he said.

“Our relations with Yemen are handled through our embassy in Saudi Arabia and it’s through there that we provided assistance.”

The Department has advised Irish citizens not to travel to Yemen, and recently called on all Irish nationals to leave the Arab country immediately.

Yesterday, Yemen's Shiite rebels and their allies fought their way through the commercial centre of Aden and seized the presidential palace on a strategic hilltop in this southern coastal city, security officials said.

The capture was a major blow to the Saudi-led coalition, which has been carrying out airstrikes for a week now across Yemen, including in the capital, Sanaa, in a campaign meant to halt the advance of the Iran-backed rebels known as Houthis.

The Maasheeq palace in Aden - a cluster of colonial-era villas perched atop a rocky hill that juts into the Arabian Sea - was president Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi's last seat of power before he fled to Saudi Arabia last month in the face of the Houthi advance. He had earlier fled to Aden from rebel-held Sanaa.

Fighting was still under way late today as Mr Hadi's forces and loyalists were holding on to some scattered parts of Aden after losing the palace and the city centre.

The capture of the palace came just hours after al Qaida militants, who have profited from the turmoil and violence roiling Yemen to expand their foothold in this Arabian Peninsula nation, captured the coastal city of Mukalla, another key port, to the east of Aden.

In the raid, al Qaida militants freed about 300 inmates from a local prison in Mukalla, including scores of militants, according to the security officials.

Among those freed from the prison was senior al Qaida operative Khaled Baterfi who had been in detention since 2011.

The militants fanned out across major roads leading into Mukalla, the provincial capital of Hadramawt, and sporadic fighting continued in the city itself.

The province is still mostly in the hands of government forces loyal to the embattled Mr Hadi.

The Saudi-led air campaign has been targeting the Houthis and their allies, forces loyal to mR Hadi's predecessor, ousted President Ali Abdullah Saleh. Over the past two days, the airstrikes have focused on Aden, bombing rebels and Saleh loyalists approaching the city from the east and north.

The presumption was that if Aden was kept out of rebel hands, Mr Hadi could return at some point to the country by way of the port.

Earlier yesterday, Houthi fighters broke through defence lines of Mr Hadi's men in Aden to reach an area known as the "Crater" in the heart of the city and which is home to the palace.

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia said one of its guards along the border with Yemen was killed last night. It was the first known Saudi casualty since the airstrikes started.

A border post in the Asir region came under heavy fire from a mountainous area inside Yemen, followed by cross-border skirmishes, according to the official Saudi Press Agency. Along with the Saudi guard who was killed, 10 other border guards were wounded, SPA said.

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News