News Middle East

Friday 29 August 2014

Five Nato soldiers killed in Afghan attack

Published 10/06/2014 | 07:33

  • Share
KABUL, AFGHANISTAN - JUNE 06:  Afghan security personnel investigate the site of a suicide attack that struck the convoy of presidential candidate Abdullah Abdullah on June 6, 2014 in Kabul, Afghanistan. The Afghan Interior Ministry says a suicide bomber and a roadside bomb struck the convoy as it left a campaign event at a wedding hall in the capital Kabul, killing several civilians but leaving the candidate himself unharmed.  (Photo by Majid Saeedi/Getty Images)
Afghan security personnel

Five Nato service members have been killed in an attack in southern Afghanistan.

  • Share
  • Go To

The international alliance said in a statement today that all five soldiers died yesterday.

It did not give further details on where the attack happened nor the nationalities of the soldiers killed in the attack. Coalition policy is for home countries to identify their military dead.

The deaths bring to 36 the number of Nato soldiers killed so far this year in Afghanistan, with eight service members killed in June.

Casualties have been falling in the US-led military coalition as its forces pull back to allow the Afghan army and police to fight the Taliban insurgency. All combat troops are scheduled to be withdrawn from the country by the end of this year.

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in World News