Sunday 25 January 2015

Ceasefire under strain as Palestinian killed at border fence

Robert Tait Jerusalem

Published 24/11/2012 | 05:00

Members of Hamas security forces stand guard in front of an Israeli watchtower as they prevent people from reaching the fence between Israel and the southern Gaza Strip.
A Hamas police officer prevents Palestinians from approaching near the Israeli Gaza border fence in the southern Gaza Strip.

HAMAS accused Israel of violating the shaky, two-day-old ceasefire in Gaza after an Israeli soldier shot dead a Palestinian man close to the security fence that encloses the territory.

Anwar Qdeih (23) was said by a relative to have been shot in the head as he tried to place a Hamas flag on the fence near the town of Khan Younis, in southern Gaza. The relative said an Israeli soldier had fired in the air three times before firing the fatal shot. At least 19 other Palestinians were wounded in the incident.

The Israeli military, which regards the zone close to the fence as a no-go area, said it was investigating. An Israeli Defence Forces spokesman said soldiers had opened fire after large numbers of Palestinians attempted to breach the fence.

"About 300 Palestinians tried to get close to the security fence. They engaged in violent activity and damaged the fence," she said. The episode illustrated vividly the fragility of Wednesday's truce that ended eight days of clashes, in which 166 Palestinians and six Israelis died.

Hours before the shooting yesterday, Israeli forces arrested 28 Palestinians, including five MPs affiliated to Hamas, in the West Bank. Hamas, the Islamist group that runs Gaza, reacted to the shooting with relative restraint, accusing Israel of breaking the ceasefire terms but saying it would raise the matter only with Egypt, which played the leading role in brokering the truce. "This is the first Israeli violation of the truce," a spokesman, Sami Abu Zuhri, said. "(Hamas) will raise this violation with Egyptian mediators to make sure that it does not happen again."

Ismail Haniya, Gaza's de facto prime minister, has depicted the truce as a major triumph for Hamas and urged militant factions to observe it.

The cessation of hostilities that lifted the immediate threat of an Israeli land invasion prompted wild street celebrations inside Gaza on Wednesday night. The ceasefire has been greeted less enthusiastically inside Israel, where many view it as giving respite to militant groups that will sooner or later resume rocket attacks on Israeli towns and cities.

An opinion poll yesterday suggested that nearly half of all Israelis supported a continuation of military action and pointed to a decline in support for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's Likud party ahead of a general election scheduled for January 22. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News