News Middle East

Friday 19 September 2014

Ceasefire announced between Hamas and Israel

Published 26/08/2014 | 16:54

  • Share
Palestinians stand near their belongings outside their house, which witnesses said was hit by an Israeli air strike, in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip August 26, 2014
Palestinians stand near their belongings outside their house, which witnesses said was hit by an Israeli air strike, in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip earlier today.

Egyptian state media has announced a ceasefire between Hamas and Israel to halt the seven-week Gaza war, which has killed over 2,200 people.

  • Share
  • Go To

Both Egyptian state television and the state news agency MENA announced the deal. Both said it begins at 7pm local time (4pm GMT), without elaborating.

Earlier, officials with from Hamas and Islamic Jihad, the main groups fighting in Gaza against Israel, said a cease-fire had been reached.

Israeli officials have not immediately commented. They described it as an "open-ended" cease-fire that included an Israeli agreement to ease its blockade of Gaza to allow relief supplies and construction materials into the war-battered territory.

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in World News