Man suspected of plotting attacks on tourists detained in France
Published 16/06/2016 | 15:46
A man with links to radical Islam has been detained in southern France suspected of plotting possible attacks on American and Russian tourists and police, authorities said.
A judicial official said on Thursday that the man, detained in the medieval city of Carcassonne on Monday, is suspected of terrorism links and remains under questioning.
The official said the man told investigators he wanted to attack tourists and later police.
A French security official called it a routine matter as police and intelligence services seek to avert a repeat of deadly IS attacks on France last year.
The arrest came on the day an extremist claiming allegiance to IS stabbed two police officials to death in a Paris suburb.
Hundreds of police, friends and neighbours marched silently on Thursday to honour the victims, police commander Jean-Baptiste Salvaing and his companion, police administrator Jessica Schneider.
Their faces solemn and lips closed, the crowd marched from Mantes-la-Jolie, where Ms Schneider worked, to Magnanville, where she and Mr Salvaing were stabbed at their home on Monday night.
Their three-year-old son survived the attack, which rattled France's leadership as the country is on high alert for new extremist violence.
Attacker Larossi Abballa was killed in a police raid. Three people with links to Abballa are in custody and being questioned by anti-terrorism investigators.
French police have described growing fear after multiple attacks targeting security officers.