Man held after mother and daughters stabbed in Alps resort
Authorities in southern France have detained a Moroccan man they said stabbed a woman and her three daughters at an Alps resort.
Jean-Marc Duprat, a deputy mayor for the town of Laragne-Monteglin in the Hautes-Alpes region, said the mother and her girls, aged eight, 12 and 14, were on holiday at a nearby resort when a man from a neighbouring apartment attacked them on Tuesday morning as they ate their breakfast.
All four were expected to recover, the deputy mayor said.
Mr Duprat initially said the man was upset that the girls were wearing shorts and T-shirts. He later said that did not appear to be the case and that the attacker's motive was not known.
"At this time, we don't have a firm answer," Raphael Balland, prosecutor for the region, told reporters.
Mr Balland said the attacker, who was on holiday with his wife and children, was brandishing an three-inch folding knife.
The youngest girl, who was the most gravely wounded, was out of danger following surgery at the hospital in Grenoble, Mr Duprat said. Her mother and her two sisters were recovering at the hospital in Gap, a town closer to where the violence occurred.
Laragne-Monteglin is 110 miles north-west of Nice, where a Tunisian man killed 84 people on July 14 by driving a truck through a holiday crowd on Bastille Day.
The July 14 carnage has deeply upset a country still reeling from the November 13 attacks in Paris, which killed 130 people, and a separate January 2015 Paris attack that targeted the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo and a Jewish supermarket.
Hours after the knife attack, gendarmes evacuated a hotel north of Avignon after a man armed with a knife barricaded himself in his room and refused to pay his bill.
An official close to the investigation said there were unconfirmed reports the man had been seen with a suspicious parcel with wires showing.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie