independent

Friday 18 April 2014

Man dies after carbon monoxide leak

Police and fire personnel respond to a possible case of carbon monoxide poisoning at the Walt Whitman Mall in Huntington, New York (AP)

A restaurant manager has died and more than two dozen others were taken to hospital after being overcome by carbon monoxide at a New York mall.

A Suffolk County police spokesman identified the man who died yesterday as Steven Nelson, 55, a restaurant manager at the Walt Whitman Shops in Huntington Station on Long Island.

Police said 28 others affected by carbon monoxide were taken to area hospitals.

Police earlier said three officers were among those overcome by carbon monoxide at the mall, which is about 35 miles east of New York City. They responded to a call shortly after 6pm local time.

Carbon monoxide is odourless and colourless and can lead to death by suffocation.

Several restaurants at the mall were evacuated as a precaution.

The Walt Whitman Shops consists of more than 80 stores, including anchors Bloomingdale's, Lord & Taylor, Macy's and Saks Fifth Avenue.

AP

Press Association

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Independent.ie on Twitter

More

Most Read

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News