Killed Kenya militant may be Briton
Published 15/06/2015 | 10:51
Authorities are trying to establish whether one of the al-Shabab extremists killed during an attack on a Kenyan army camp was the Briton Thomas Evans.
The Kenyan military said that one of the 10 other men killed during the raid in Lamu County was Luqman Osman Issa, the main al-Shabab commander in the area.
Issa, a Kenyan, was believed responsible for the killing of two soldiers in an ambush on May 24 2014 in the Baragoni area in Lamu County, as well as the attacks on the Mpeketoni and Poromoko areas on June 15-17 2014, in which at least 60 people were killed.
Photos of Evans, also known as Abdul Akim, seem to match with the body but only DNA and biometric tests can determine the identity conclusively, military spokesman Col David Obonyo said.
Evans, 25, contacted his family to say he had travelled to Somalia to join al-Shabab in 2012 after leaving their home in Buckinghamshire.
In a statement, his mother Sally Evans said she is waiting for official confirmation regarding the death.
Giving evidence to the UK's Home Affairs Select Committee earlier this year, Ms Evans said her son had turned to Islam in 2009.
In a firefight on Sunday, the Kenyan army killed 11 militants from the Somali extremist group who attacked the camp - including two apparent foreigners. Two Kenyan soldiers were killed.