Sunday 11 December 2016

Japan acknowledges first case of cancer linked to Fukushima nuclear disaster

David Kearns

Published 20/10/2015 | 13:32

A worker at a radiation screening following the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant accident Credit: Issei Kato (Getty Images)
A worker at a radiation screening following the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant accident Credit: Issei Kato (Getty Images)

Japan has acknowledged the first possible casualty from radiation at the wrecked Fukushima nuclear power plant, a worker who was diagnosed with cancer after the crisis broke out in 2011.

  • Go To

The health ministry's recognition of radiation as a possible cause may set back efforts to recover from the disaster, as the government and the nuclear industry have been at pains to say that the health effects from radiation have been minimal.

It may also add to compensation payments that had reached more than 7 trillion yen (€56 billion) by July this year.

Read More: Monstrous Wolf-fish raises fears about Fukushima nuclear disaster

More than 160,000 people were forced from their homes after the meltdowns at the Fukushima Daiichi plant following an earthquake and tsunami in March 2011, the worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl 25 years earlier.

TEPCO workers standing before the stricken Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant at Okuma town in northern Japan Credit: Yoshikazu Tsuno (Getty Images)
TEPCO workers standing before the stricken Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant at Okuma town in northern Japan Credit: Yoshikazu Tsuno (Getty Images)

Hundreds of deaths have been attributed to the chaos of evacuations during the crisis and because of the hardship and mental trauma refugees have experienced since then but until now the government had said that radiation was not a cause.

The male worker in his 30s, who was employed by a construction contractor, worked at Tokyo Electric Power Co's Fukushima Daiichi plant and other nuclear facilities, a health ministry official said.

Read More: Japan floods force 100,000 people to flee their homes

A worker taking a rest following efforts to clean up after the Fukushima nuclear disaster Credit: Yoshikazu Tsuno (Getty Images)
A worker taking a rest following efforts to clean up after the Fukushima nuclear disaster Credit: Yoshikazu Tsuno (Getty Images)

Of total radiation exposure of 19.8 millisieverts (mSv), the worker received a dose of 15.7 (mSv) between October 2012 and December 2013 working at Fukushima, said the official.

While the exposure amount was lower than the annual 50 mSv limit for nuclear industry workers, the government had decided it cannot be ruled out that the worker's leukaemia was a result of radiation, the official said.

“The recognition he is sick from his work at the plant means his hospital bills will be paid along with all costs incurred from being unemployed,” said the spokeswoman.

The ministry would not divulge the seriousness of the man’s condition or whether he is expected to recover.

Read More: Japan restarts first reactor since Fukushima disaster

Tokyo Electric is also facing a string of legal cases seeking compensation over the disaster.

Inside the plant, Tepco has struggled to bring the situation under control.

It is estimated removing the melted fuel from the wrecked reactors and cleaning up the site will cost tens of billions of euros and take decades to complete.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News