Saturday 10 December 2016

Ivory Coast cabinet in emergency meeting after beach terror attack

Published 14/03/2016 | 11:01

Security forces gather around the scene where gunmen attacked people in Grand Bassam, Ivory Coast (AP)
Security forces gather around the scene where gunmen attacked people in Grand Bassam, Ivory Coast (AP)

Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara is to hold an emergency cabinet meeting following an attack by al Qaida extremists on a popular beach resort which killed 16 people.

  • Go To

Sunday's attack on Grand-Bassam was the first of its kind in Ivory Coast. Officials had been braced for such a strike in the wake of similar assaults by al Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb in neighbouring Burkina Faso and Mali.

Despite heightened security measures in recent months, the extremists attacked civilians at one of the country's top destinations for both Ivorians and foreigners, but security forces apparently responded quickly.

Ivorian newspapers on Monday morning featured graphic photos of dead bodies sprawled on the beach. The headline for one paper, Le Patriote, read: "We are Grand-Bassam!"

"These terrorist attacks can happen anywhere, at any time," Mr Ouattara said on Sunday after visiting the Etoile du Sud hotel, one of three hotels where gunmen opened fire. "We have shown that we have the capacity to contain the damage that can result."

France is sending two top ministers to Abidjan to express its solidarity with Ivory Coast. One French citizen was killed.

French Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault will travel to the West Africa country on Tuesday alongside Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve.

French President Francois Hollande condemned the attack as cowardly and odious.

The 16 dead included 14 civilians and two Ivorian special forces, Mr Ouattara said. Six attackers were also killed and at least 22 people - 19 civilians and three special forces - were wounded, he said.

Appearing on state television on Sunday night, Interior Minister Hamed Bakayoko said the 14 civilian victims came from countries including Burkina Faso, Cameroon, France, Germany and Mali.

The toll could rise, he added.

Officials were not ready to provide information on the attackers, though authorities were in possession of mobile phones and other evidence which would allow them "to go to the source" of the attack, Mr Bakayoko said.

He urged Ivorians to remain strong in the face of the extremist threat.

"It's a grave event, but we must face it," he said.

The attack in Grand-Bassam was the third major attack on a tourism centre in West Africa since November. Dozens of people were killed in a siege at a Malian hotel in November and an assault on a hotel and cafe in Burkina Faso in January. Analysts had warned for months that Ivory Coast could also be hit by jihadists.

Mr Bakayoko said authorities had taken steps to prepare the country for an attack, crediting their work with reducing Sunday's loss of life.

"There was anticipation. You know that our country has been targeted for a few years. We did whatever we could," he said.

He said security forces had responded within 30 minutes and that within two hours the attackers had been killed.

Sites in Grand-Bassam were among more than 100 that had been under heightened surveillance in recent months, Mr Bakayoko said, adding that those measures were going to continue.

"Count on us. We are going to reinforce the surveillance," he said.

Statements condemning Sunday's attack came from countries including the United States and Britain. The Paris prosecutor's office said it had opened an investigation into the attack, calling it murder in connection with a terrorist enterprise. Anti-terrorism investigators will handle the probe because there was a French victim.

Al Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb claimed responsibility, according to the Site Intelligence Group which monitors jihadist websites.

Human Rights Watch also issued a statement condemning the "horrific terrorist attack". The group, which has accused Ivory Coast of rights abuses in response to past security challenges, also called for human rights to be respected as the investigation progresses.

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News