News World News

Saturday 22 October 2016

Hollande: Euro 2016 will be success despite terror threat

Published 05/06/2016 | 19:46

Security will be tight across France
Security will be tight across France

French president Francois Hollande has said the threat of extremism will not stop the European Championship football tournament from being successful.

  • Go To

Mr Hollande told France Inter radio that precautionary measures, including the deployment of a 90,000-strong security force, will ensure safety at the matches taking place in 10 French cities.

The premier said France decided to go ahead with Euro 2016 despite two waves of attacks last year, and to make it a "festival for people and for sports".

But he said spectators at the month-long tournament, which starts on Friday, must accept security checks as they enter stadiums and fan zones.

Mr Hollande added that "this threat, alas, will exist for a long time so we must guarantee this great event ... is successful. It will be."

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in World News