independent

Sunday 20 April 2014

Fumes kill boy keeping warm in car

A boy has died of carbon monoxide poisoning amid severe weather in Boston (AP)

An 11-year-old boy has died of carbon monoxide poisoning after being overcome as he sat in a running car to keep warm while his father was shovelling snow.

Boston Fire department spokesman Steve MacDonald said the boy was helping his father shovel the snow but got cold, so his father started the car and the boy got inside.

Mr MacDonald said the car exhaust was covered by a snow bank, causing the fumes to collect in the vehicle.

When the boy was overcome by the fumes, his father went into respiratory arrest, and emergency workers took both to hospital.

The boy was pronounced dead at the hospital. No names were released.

Press Association

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Independent.ie on Twitter

More

Most Read

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News