Frenchman arrested in Rotterdam amid 'planned terror attack' inquiry
Published 27/03/2016 | 19:36
Dutch police have arrested a 32-year-old Frenchman in the port city of Rotterdam at the request of French authorities who suspect him of "involvement in planning a terror attack".
Residents were evacuated from homes near addresses on two streets that were raided by anti-terror police, who also took three other men into custody.
French officials requested the arrest on Friday after the suspect emerged during an investigation, according to a statement from the Dutch national prosecutor's office.
Spokesman Wim de Bruin declined to give more details about the alleged plot, saying it was a French investigation.
The suspect, whose identity has not been released, is expected to be extradited to France soon.
Three other men were detained in Sunday's raids; two with Algerian backgrounds, and a third man whose identity could not immediately be established.
Mr de Bruin said the three were held in relation to a Dutch investigation, and gave no further details.
The raids come with Europe on high alert following last Tuesday's suicide bombings in Brussels, which killed at least 31 people.
The suspect was allegedly involved in a plot disrupted by police in the Paris region last week, French prosecutors said.
Another Frenchman, Reda Kriket, was detained on Thursday in relation to that alleged plot and remains in custody.
An official with the Paris prosecutor's office said there is no sign of a link at this stage between Kriket's purported plot and the network behind attacks in Brussels and Paris in recent months.
The arrest was part of a broad intelligence operation to thwart a plot to stage an attack in France, French interior minister Bernard Cazeneuve said.