Food bug hits top Noma restaurant
Published 08/03/2013 | 21:41
Food safety officials have ordered a clean-up and better food handling at one of the world's top restaurants after more than 60 people fell ill with viral gastroenteritis from eating at the two-star Michelin venue.
The Danish Veterinary and Food Administration said it investigated Noma in Copenhagen after complaints from customers who dined there during a week in February.
It was not immediately clear what food caused the infection at Noma, which has hit top spot three times in the world's best restaurants list in Restaurant magazine .
Food administration spokesman Morten Lisby described the outbreak that caused vomiting and diarrhoea as "massive".
The 63 infected people ate at the popular waterfront restaurant between February 12 and 16, according to a food safety report based on an inspection of local restaurants and food retail companies a week later.
Restaurant manager Peter Kreiner apologised for the incidents and said he was trying to track the source of the infection with officials.
"Our business is based on having satisfied customers here and we're incredibly sorry on behalf of our guests," Mr Kreiner told Danish TV2. He said the restaurant contacted the agency as soon as it became aware of the complaints.
Noma, which opened in 2004, is widely known for chef Rene Redzepi, who relies on fresh, locally sourced products, from moss and snails to sloe berries and unripe plums. The restaurant has been credited with redefining Nordic cooking and receives thousands of reservation requests every day.
Meals at Noma cost up to 1,500 krone (£175) and table reservations often must be made months in advance.
Press AssociationFollow @Independent_ie